The first post, Super Bowl 36.




This blog is for people that share the same (many words I could use here, um, passion, yeah I'll go with passion and not some choice words my wife would use) as me when it comes to collecting Boston sports memorabilia. I am especially drawn to the history of our great teams. I have been collecting since I was 15 and lets just say I am a lot older than that now.

The Patriots just won their 6th Super Bowl title so I figured my first post on this blog should be Patriots related. Lets bring it back to the first Super Bowl Championship season. That would be Super Bowl 36 vs the ST. Louis Rams.

Did you know the patriotic American flag logo of Super Bowl 36 isn't the original logo? Below is a rare original Riddell mini helmet I found a few years ago with the original logo and date; yes the original date changed too. I haven't come across another one for sale since but I have seen the pocket "micro" helmet version (I bought that too).




So here is the scoop. New Orleans had been preparing for Super Bowl 36 ever since it was awarded the event in 1998. The original date for the Super Bowl was January 27th, 2002. When the September 11, 2001 attacks happened the league postponed the September 16th games and played them a week after the scheduled end of the 2001 regular season. This caused the Super Bowl to start a week later, for the first time in the month of February (Feb. 3rd). All subsequent Super Bowls have been played in February. Like so many other things in football now the Patriots were the first.

Originally the logo for Super Bowl 36 was meant to reflect the flair and style of the host city New Orleans but after 9/11 they made the decision to change it to a patriotic logo. I think its the best logo of any Super Bowl before or since. 

The Best Log Ever.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Patriot gone but... forgotten.

Patriots/Red Sox Fenway Park Mugs